Andrew Shaw’s 3OT goal gives the Blackhawks Game 1 win over the Bruins


The fifth longest game in Stanley Cup Final history ended with a double deflection by Andrew Shaw in the middle of the third overtime.  The Blackhawks came back from a two-goal deficit in the third period to draw the game to overtime.  Milan Lucic had two goals and an assist in the losing effort while Andrew Shaw and Dave Bolland had a goal and an assist each, both factoring into the game-winning goal.

The Bruins were forced to roll 10 forwards in the overtime periods due to a Nathan Horton upper body injury which he didn’t return from. Both goalies played exceptional, Corey Crawford made 51 saves for the win and Tuukka Rask made 59 saves in the losing effort.

Early in Game 1 it became clear that the Blackhawks were a much more responsible team than the Bruins last opponents.  Chicago did not reach with stretch passes or abandon the front of their net, and were physical on the puck without getting away from the play at large.  It was also clear that both teams would protect their goalie from needing to make sparkling saves early.  When either goalie was tested he was square to the net and had plenty of rebound support.

The Bruins got two really great scoring chances but were thwarted by Corey Crawford on both attempts, just seconds apart.  The first save was a big looping glove save on Brad Marchand.  Immediately after the ensuing faceoff Crawford made a toe save on a scrambly attempt out front.

The Bruins would get on the board soon after when David Krejci beat out a dump-in, avoided a Niklas Hjalmarsson hit behind the net and quickly wheeled to Nathan Horton in front of the net.  Horton quickly whirled to Milan Lucic at the opposite post and Lucic tossed in the wrister before Crawford could get back in position.

The Bruins weathered the storm in the first 10 minutes, narrowly escaping some bad turnovers and eventually took the crowd out of the game with some nice grinding shifts in the Chicago zone.  Chicago didn’t really have an answer for the Bruins goal, continually losing traction in the Bruins zone as the Bruins stout defense stopped rushes with turnovers and blocked shots.

Milan Lucic would get his second goal of the game less than a minute into the second period when the Bruins created a turnover and immediately turned an odd-man rush at the Chicago blue line.  David Krejci wheeled slowly up the left wing, creating time for Lucic to get into the play, before dishing to him for the quick one-timer that beat Crawford glove side.

Chicago would respond well with a goal of their own when Brandon Saad ripped home a one-timer past Tuukka Rask over his glove hand.  Marian Hossa did a good job of winning a puck on the boards and punching it to Saad in space.  Saad quickly turned and fired a nice slap shot one-timer on goal and in.

The Blackhawks found a great deal of momentum from the goal and really began dictating play with long shifts in the Bruins zone, which were all a lot more threatening than anything seen in the first period. When momentum was at it’s highest Nathan Horton was sent off for interference, giving the talented Blackhawks power-play a shot.  The Bruins would then get called for too many men on the ice, giving the Blackhawks about 80 seconds of 5-on-3 time.  The Bruins would kill off the 5-on-3 with two misplays that lead to clears by the Blackhawks and would kill the rest of the penalty off despite Horton needing to go on the PK directly out of the box.

The Bruins would take their third penalty of the game when Zdeno Chara was sent off for high-sticking in front of the net.  Without their captain the Bruins put together their best penalty-kill of the contest, not allowing Chicago to get set-up and killing a good deal of the penalty in the Chicago zone.

The second half of the period was a matter of the Bruins surviving the storm.  The Bruins seemed constantly on their heels and at times truly struggled to gain the red line at all.  The Blackhawks outshot the Bruins 16-6 in the middle frame and looked poised to tie the game throughout but the Bruins would bring a one-goal lead to the second intermission.

The Bruins would make good on their first power-play attempt of the series when Patrice Bergeron rifled home a one-timer from the dot past Crawford glove side. After some nice board work by Jaromir Jagr, Tyler Seguin found himself with the puck in the center slot.  In a look he would have fired on usually, Seguin wisely found an open Bergeron a few strides away for the nice one-time feed that Bergeron buried off the post and in.

The Blackhawks would promptly respond with their second goal when Dave Bolland finished an odd-man rush with a nice touch one-timer, beating Rask blocker side.  The play started with a bad turnover by Torey Krug to Andrew Shaw.  Shaw carried it up the right side and placed a nice pass across the zone to Bolland, who was skating up the ice on the weak side.  Bolland crouched to secure the pass and fired in one motion, beating Rask’s blocker before the goalie could get over.

The Bruins nearly responded with a 2-on-1 of their own but Crawford came out and made a nice save on Lucic an the Blackhawks quickly recovered to stop the play from progressing.  The Blackhawks would equalize the game with under eight minutes left in the third when a Johnny Oduya slap shot from the point that was going wide hit off of Andrew Ference‘s skate and into the net past Rask.

The momentum would eventually stem and the play would even back out over the remainder of the game, with the teams trading chances regularly but failing to get the decisive seventh goal.

The Blackhawks looked like it was their game to win after their two-goal comeback brought the game to overtime.  That showed in the first five or so minutes.  The Blackhawks started flying through the zone and throwing pucks towards the net while the Bruins attacked in spurts.  The Hawks aggressive nature led to a few odd-man rushes by the Bruins but Chicago’s defense did a great job of recovering and killing the threats before they were fatal.

The Bruins would get their second power-play of the game when the Hawks were called for too many men on the ice 12 minutes into the overtime.   The Bruins netted three shots during the power-play but Crawford came up big to keep his team alive.  Following the penalty the Bruins had some good pressure and Nathan Horton couldn’t settle a puck on the top of the crease that could have ended the game.

The Hawks would get a lot of their shots off singular rushes up either side, trying to create rebounds, but all opportunities where thrown away to the boards and out of harm’s way.  The game would eventually go to a second overtime period.

The second overtime went much like the first overtime started.  The Blackhawks used their younger, faster legs to create a lot of their own chances but as the period wore on and the game slowed down the Bruins began to threaten as well.  The Bruins would get a power-play with 52 seconds left in the second overtime when Chicago was called for too many men for the second time in the game.  A Zdeno Chara would deflect off Jagr and off the post, the loose rebound would bounce over Lucic’s stick and the Blackhawks would escape the first portion of the power-play thanks to the buzzer.

The Bruins looked poised to win the game a few times in the third overtime, no chance better than Kaspars Daugavins chance in the crease when he tried to deke backhand but was broken up.  Daugavins had a chance to shoot on the forehand with some space to beat Crawford but didn’t fire away.  The decision would be the Bruins Glen Wesley moment as shortly after Andrew Shaw ended it.

Michal Rozsival took a shot from the point with two players screening. The puck would deflect off of Dave Bolland and then Andrew Shaw and past Rask to win the fifth longest game in Stanley Cup history.

The following two tabs change content below.

Jim Lyons

The blogger formerly known as @BruCrewHockey, posts mostly about hockey but occasionally about music and other random things. @JimmyFausto and @BleedingBruins on twitter.