After initially closing the door Jagr immediately following the season, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said he would look into bringing the 41-year old forward back following the departure of wingers Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton.
On Sunday, Chiarelli once again shut the the book on Jagr and ruled out re-signing the free agent Czech forward. Instead, the Bruins will look to replace Jagr with younger players within the organization.
“I was asked a couple of times about [Jagr], and we’re done for now,” said Chiarelli. “Obviously you want to develop your talent and bring them in and let them play. Sometimes there’s not room for them and sometimes you use them as chips in deals, but you always have to develop. To be in a position where they’re ready to play breathes new life into everybody.”
Several young Bruins – including Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser (both acquired from Dallas in the Seguin deal), Ryan Spooner, Jared Knight, Carter Camper and Jordan Caron - will have the chance to compete for a roster spot once training camp rolls around in the Fall.
Jagr became a fan-favorite during his short stint in Boston, but it comes as little surprise that he won’t be back next season – especially after the Bruins signed Jarome Iginla earlier this offseason.
Jagr tallied 16 goals and had 35 assists in 45 games for Dallas and Boston last season but failed to score a single goal in 22 playoff games during the Bruins Stanley Cup run. The aging veteran still commands a pretty hefty paycheck as well – he made $4.5 million in 2013.
There remains some interest in Jagr around the NHL, but with the salary cap dropping next season it wouldn’t be shocking if #68 headed back to the KHL, where he played from 2008-2010, in favor of a bigger payday.